Abrotion in Kharghar , Navi Mumbai
Having a child is the sole decision of the mother. The Indian abortion laws fall under the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act, which the Indian Parliament enacted in 1971 to reduce illegal abortion and consequent maternal mortality and morbidity.
According to MTP Amendment Act 2021, abortion can be performed until 24 weeks of pregnancy.
If you are sure that you want to go for an abortion, then medically and legally speaking, the sooner you do it, the better.
Dr Sandhya Shah has years of experience in performing pregnancy termination surgery. All procedures will be performed in sterile aseptic conditions in a well-equipped operation theatre.
Legal clauses for abortion in India
- Grave risk to mother’s physical or mental health
- Genetic abnormalities in the fetus
- Failure of contraception (birth control)
- If the pregnancy is a result of sexual assault, such as rape (allowed until 24 weeks)
Timeline for Abortion
- Within the first 12 weeks of your pregnancy, you need the approval of only one registered medical practitioner to go ahead with the abortion.
- After 12 weeks, you will need the approval of two registered medical practitioners.
- Get the MTP done within the first 7weeks after your last period. You can have a medical abortion, which means you need to take some medicines prescribed by the gynaecologist and have a follow-up checkup to ensure that the abortion was successful.
- There is no surgery necessary in this case.
- If your 7-week deadline has passed, don't panic. MTPs are legal in India until the 20th week, and surgical abortion can be performed under anaesthesia.
You can get the best Abortion Facilities in Mumbai with Dr Sandhya Shah, the best MTP Doctor in Bandra, Mumbai.
Points to Keep In mind
- If you are an adult of sound mental health, then you do not need anyone's (husband or boyfriend) permission or consent to having an abortion.
- Even if you are unmarried, you can have an abortion in India, without anyone's consent, provided that you are an adult of sound mental health.
- However, if you are a minor, you will need the consent of your parent or legal guardian for the abortion. It may be difficult to tell your parents about your pregnancy, but it is the only way to obtain a safe and legal abortion in India.
When To Consult Dr Sandhya Shah Post-Procedure:
- Heavy bleeding with clots (more than two pads per hour for more than 2 hours).
- Pain or discomfort not relieved by medicines.
- Vomiting for more than 4 to 6 hours.
- Foul-smelling vaginal discharge.